Discharge Planner Case Mgt PRN
Under the direction of the Director of Care Management or Lead Care Manager, coordinates and implements the function of discharge planning for inpatient and outpatient services. Identifies and anticipates discharge needs for each assigned patient. Communicates and collaborates with the interdisciplinary team through verbal and written communication. Responsible for the integration of the patient into the home or transitional environment using the Care Management process (developing, planning, implementing, and evaluating) in accordance with existing federal, state, and local standards. Adheres to confidentiality policies specific to communication, record keeping, and coordination of services. Responsible for documentation in all areas of discharge planning. Discharge planners provide assistance-to patients, families, and/or significant others. Facilitates assistance when psychosocial factors impact the recovery process. Discharge planners seek guidance from assigned Care Manager and/or Director of Care Management as needed.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Experience in one or more areas (multiple experience preferred) of discharge planning, social services, utilization management, and/or care management.
- Demonstrates ability to interpret a variety of handwritten clinical data.
- Maintains attention to detail in a fast-paced work environment with minimal supervision.
- Maintains a pleasant, tactful manner when working with people in stressful situations.
- Familiar with Medicare/Medicaid regulations, levels of care criteria, and financial assistance.
- Skillful in dealing with physicians to resolve UM/DC planning issues.
- Demonstrates an understanding of medical record chart analysis.
- Experience with InterQual and Milliman criteria for verifying hospital admission and continued medical necessity.
- Possesses a working knowledge of community resources and services.
- Acts as a liaison between physicians, staff, patients, and families. A
- Assesses patients to identify psychosocial needs requiring intervention (It is recognized that there are variations in the approach utilized by different practitioners.
- Minimum High School graduate or GED equivalent.
- Ability to read and communicate effectively in English required.
- Ability to communicate in additional languages preferred.
- BLS required within 30 days of hire date.
- One (1) year of experience as a discharge planner or health unit clerk (HUC) preferred.
- Knowledgeable of MS office to include Word.
- Minimum of two years of experience in the field of health care preferred.
- Working knowledge of medical terminology required.
Steward Health Care complies with applicable Federal and State civil rights laws and does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, citizenship, alienage, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age or disability.